Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Well Hello Again! ...and Merry Christmas

While my husband plays some GTA (don't get me started) something possessed me to update my blog. So here we are! Since July, I've gotten married - it was a great day, and I'm not sure if the novelty of calling someone "my husband" will ever wear off. I have been supply teaching and love it loads. If it wasn't for the uncertainty of if and where I'll be working the next day, I think I could happily supply for years and years - though I will probably have to either way. So those are about the highlights - family is good, work is good, life is good.

Here are my thoughts on some of the movies I have watched over the last 5 months:

Ted
A lot of tree smoking, but funny. For some reason I am a big fan of Giovanni Ribisi, but I think his character was unnecessary, that whole plot line was more weird than funny.

The Campaign
Not a whole lot of laugh out loud moments, but Zach Galifinakis is pretty adorable.

Red Lights
I really liked the premise of this movie - a pair of professionals debunking mediums. I am a huge Cillian Murphy fan, as well as Robert DeNiro, so overall I liked this movie. The ending was kind of silly, but it did help tie everything together.

Rock of Ages
I was really looking forward to this movie - it had everything going for it: an interesting cast, great music, singing and dancing... but it just kind of made me uncomfortable. It was a lot more adult than I thought it would be, and while the blonde chick was a good enough singer and actress, she just wasn't doing it for me.

The Amazing Spiderman
I expected this movie to be a totally different side to what we already know about Spiderman, but it's really just another version of the storyline found in the first Toby McGuire one but with a different girl and different bad guy (spoiler alert, Uncle Ben dies). I'm not mad at that, the movie was really well done, I haven't made a decision on how I feel about Andrew Garfield, but I think I can warm up to him.

The Dictator
I cannot stress enough how incredibly offensive this movie was, especially if you are any of the nationalities or religions that it targets. I, however, am a white Christian, so while I occasionally felt guilty for laughing, I laughed all the same.

Dark Shadows
This movie had a really fun story and that Tim Burton feel that is so quirky. It was well-cast, and having a main character with the same name as mine is always a bonus. But for all that this movie has going for it, I cannot get past those weirdo fingers on Johnny Depp, just way too distracting.

Hope Springs
I loved Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones together as an old married couple that have lost that loving feeling. Well-played.

MIB 3
I was a big fan of the first two MIB movies, the third one didn't disappoint. And shit that Pitbull song is catchy.

The Avengers
I really liked Captain America, so I was looking forward to seeing what happened to him in The Avengers. All the superheroes were great. I haven't seen the new Hulk or Thor, but liked them both in this one, and RDJ is just the best in everything. My only criticism is that the bad guy wasn't really that bad.

Friends With Kids
With much of the same cast as Bridesmaids, you kind of have some expectations going in. This movie could have been more than it was, the main girl was kind of a flake, and you know where this movie is going from the beginning. I did really like the relationship between Maya Rudolf and Chris O'Dowd, but the other two couples are a little shallow. Not a bad movie overall though.

The Lorax
This movie had such a great message, and even though it was written decades ago, it couldn't be more timely. Great animation and colour, great story, I'm on the fence about some of the voice choices, but I was really pleased with this movie.

A Joyful Noise
I love me some gospel music, so this movie had promise. The Queen Latifa character was kind of strange, but Dolly Parton was adorable. There was nothing earth-shattering about this one, but it was watchable.

Pitch Perfect
Easily one of my favourite movies this year. The mash-ups were just amazing and the casting was great. Fun, fun, fun.

Twilight Part 2
I was satisfied with how this series ended, a good follow-up to a pretty dull part one.

Christmas offering:
The Mistle-Tones
I think this was some abc family original movie. I like Christmas songs, I like a cappella groups, I like family movies, I liked this movie. The love-interest was really good-looking, but Tori Spelling has distracting lips.

1 comment:

  1. AS I told you, we were watching Hope Springs when we talked. As soon as the couple were asked to start describing their sexual history, etc., Grammy started hyperventilating! and shut down... LOL, had to switch to The Big Miracle, with Drew Barrymore and John Kascinski. Better choice for her.

    ReplyDelete