Saturday, June 30, 2012

Movie Round-Up

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

It's not so much the plot that sticks out in this movie, I couldn't really tell you any plot specifics. For me, Sherlock Holmes number 2 is more about the feel. It creates this atmosphere that is witty and slick and entertaining that keeps a hold of me. RDJ and Jude Law as Holmes and Watson are perfect. I could take or leave the guy who played Moriarty and the gypsy chick, and I wish there was more Rachel McAdams, but on the positive side, I really liked the addition of Stephen Fry as Sherlock's brother and tha we get to know Watson's wife a little better (Kelly Reilly). I'm not really sure what Moriarty's problem was, and the idea of him was more intimidating than him in real life, but overall, this movie was quirky, adventurous, fun.   

21 Jump Street

Was this movie revolutionary or creative or inspiring? No. But it was hilarious. I haven't laughed that much during a movie in a long time. And my guy, who doesn't generally like watching movies, loved it too.

Mirror Mirror

This is the more family-friendly of this year's Snow White offerings. I found Lily Collins to be lovely, Nathan Lane to be his usual quirky self, and Armie Hammer to be the perfect Prince Charming (that voice!). Unlike the KStew one, the dwarves in this movie were real little people which made them seem more legit and loveable. Where I find issue is with Julia Roberts and her Queen role. I hate to say this, but she just isn't beautiful enough or wicked enough. She never feels like a real threat to Snow White. And the magic stuff had me confused, what were her powers? What the hell was that world behind the mirror? Did they give royalties to Robax for using their weird marionettes? Not a bad movie, it was fun and cute and charming, but there was just something off with that Queen.

Wrath of the Titans

My love of Greek mythology going into this movie was probably the only thing that kept me watching. It was just weird - all the gods were just really un-god-like, we have Zeus and Ares walking through some weird cave thing, and this is where gods live? It's like they spent their entire special effects budget on Kronos and that cool labyrinth but had nothing left for that scene early on when Zeus is captured, or later when Zeus and Hades cheesily muster up all their power. And is it a rule that gods have to have long hair and wear Moses-robes? Plus, these gods are tiny! Human-sized to be exact and it all just goes back to the gods not being very god-like at all. I was embarrassed for Liam Neeson, and especially Ralph Fiennes for being a part of this silliness. I think what it really boils down to is that this movie was not concerned with story or character, but action. And while, yes, the labyrinth was super-cool, this movie was just lacking substance. And call me stupid, but who are the Titans in this movie? I know Kronos is one, but that is only one... and this movie is called Wrath of the Titans (plural). What the heck?

No comments:

Post a Comment